- Jeff Bezos and MacKenzie Bezos announced the two agreed upon a divorce settlement in which the Amazon CEO keeps 75% of company shares.
- MacKenzie said she looks forward "to the next phase as co-parents and friends" in a statement on Twitter.
- The agreed settlement would make the divorce the costliest in history.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
MacKenzie Bezos gave up all interests to The Washington Post and spaceflight venture Blue Origin, while Jeff will have voting control over the Amazon shares she retains. Her stake is estimated to be worth more than $35 billion at current prices, making her among the world's richest women.
The Bezos announced their divorce in January, immediately fueling speculation about the details of their eventual settlement.
Jeff Bezos, with a net worth of $137 billion, is the richest person in the world, and some media outlets have mused whether his divorce could become the most expensive of all time. If Washington state issues a divorce decree to the couple, the divorce would rank as the priciest in history.
The mogul would join a long list of celebrities who have been on the wrong end of a costly divorce settlement, which includes Paul McCartney, Madonna, Tiger Woods, and even President Donald Trump.
Each of those settlements was worth tens of millions of dollars, but they pale in comparison to the most expensive divorce settlements of all time.
That dubious list is reserved for settlements worth hundreds of millions of dollars - and in a few eye-popping cases, $1 billion or more.
Read on to see the most expensive divorce settlements of all time:
10. Bob Johnson and Sheila Crump Johnson, 2002 — $400 million
Television moguls Bob Johnson and Sheila Johnson were married from 1969 to 2002, and during their time together cofounded the network Black Entertainment Television.
In 2000, the couple became the first African-American billionaires, and when the couple divorced two years later, Sheila Johnson walked away with $400 million, according to ABC News.
In a twist of fate, Sheila later married the judge who presided over her divorce.
9. Mel Gibson and Robyn Moore, 2006 — $425 million
The nearly half-a-million-dollar settlement between actor Mel Gibson and Robyn Moore remains the largest Hollywood divorce payout in history.
The settlement totaled half of the actor's net worth at the time.